AIR CONDITIONING LEAK TEST - Continued
1. AC system should be charged with a sufficient amount of refrigerant to have a gage pressure of at least
50 psi (345 kPa) when not in operation. At temperatures below 59ºF (15ºC), leaks may not be
measurable, since this pressure may not be reached.
2. Take care not to contaminate detector probe tip if part being tested is contaminated. If part is particularly
dirty, or moisture is present, it should be wiped off with a dry shop towel or blown off with shop air. No
cleaners or solvents should be used, since detector may be sensitive to the ingredients in cleaner or
3. Visually trace entire refrigerant system, and look for signs of air conditioning lubricant leakage, damage,
and corrosion on all lines, hoses, and components. Each questionable area should be carefully checked
with detector probe, as well as, all fittings, hoses, service ports with caps in place, and areas around
cushion clips and cable ties.
4. Always follow AC system around in a continuous path so that no areas of potential leaks are missed. If
a leak is found, always continue to test remainder of the AC system.
5. At each area checked, probe should be moved around location at a rate no more than 1 to 2 in./second
(3 to 5 cm/second), and no more than 1/4 in. (.64 cm) from surface, completely around position. Slower
and closer movement of the probe greatly improves likelihood of finding a leak. Any increase in beep
rate is indicative of a leak.
6. An apparent leak should be verified at least once as follows:
(a) Blow shop air in area of suspected leak if necessary, and repeat check of area. In cases of very
large leaks, blowing out area with shop air often helps locate exact position of leak.
(b) Move probe to fresh air and reset. Then hold probe tip as close as possible to indicate leak source
and slowly move around it until leak is confirmed.
7. If leaks are indicated, repair leaks as necessary.
1. Install electronic control box (ECB) right side panel (TM 9-2320-364-20).
2. Install left side noise panel and rubber flap (WP 0051).
END OF WORK PACKAGE