2-28. AUXILIARY EQUIPMENT.
CARBON MONOXIDE (EXHAUST GAS) CAN KILL YOU
Carbon monoxide is a colorless, odorless, DEADLY POISONOUS gas and
when breathed deprives body of oxygen and causes SUFFOCATION.
Breathing air with carbon monoxide produces symptoms of headache,
dizziness, loss of muscular control, a sleepy feeling, and coma. Permanent
BRAIN DAMAGE or DEATH can result from severe exposure.
The following precautions MUST be followed to ensure personnel are safe
whenever arctic heater or engine is operated for any purpose. Injury to
personnel may result.
DO NOT operate arctic heater or engine of truck in enclosed area
without adequate ventilation.
DO NOT drive any truck with inspection plates, cover plates, or
engine compartment doors removed unless necessary for
NEVER sleep in a truck when the heater is operating or the
engine is idling.
BE ALERT at all times during truck operation for exhaust
symptoms. If either are present, IMMEDIATELY EVACUATE
AND VENTILATE the area. Affected personnel treatment shall
be: expose to fresh air; keep warm; DO NOT PERMIT
PHYSICAL EXERCISE; if necessary, give artificial respiration as
described in FM 21-11 and get medical attention.
BE AWARE; neither the gas particulate filter unit nor field
protection mask for nuclear-biological-chemical protection will
protect you from carbon monoxide poisoning.
THE BEST DEFENSE AGAINST CARBON MONOXIDE POISONING IS GOOD