Apply service brakes while assistant
listens to air chamber and observes
brake shoe movement
(1) If assistant cannot hear air
chamber apply when service
brakes are applied, replace
air chamber (Para 12-10).
(2) If air chamber applies
correctly, air chamber is OK.
Wear safety goggles when performing leakage tests on valves. Failure to do so may result in serious
eye injury due to high pressure air.
(1) Apply service brakes
(2) Measure gap between brake shoe and
drum (Para 12-3).
(a) If there is no gap, perform
Steps (3) through (7) below.
(b) If there is a gap, perform Step (3)
below and adjust brakes
(3) Release service brakes.
(4) Cage air chamber (Para 12-10).
(5) Remove brake drum and air
chamber (Para 13-3 and 12-10).
(6) Inspect brake shoes and wedges
(a) If brake shoes and/or wedges are
faulty, replace brake shoes or
wedges (Para 12-2).
(b) If shoes and wedges are OK,
notify DS Maintenance.
(7) Install brake drum and air chamber
(Para 13-3 and 12-10).