(1) Apply service brakes
(2) Measure gap between brake shoe and
drum (Para 12-3).
(a) If there is no gap, perform Steps
(3) through (7) below.
(b) If there is a gap, adjust brakes
(3) Release service brake.
(4) Cage air chamber (Para 12-10).
(5) Remove brake drum and air
chamber (Para 13-3 and 12-10).
(6) Inspect brake shoes and wedges
(a) If brake shoes and/or wedges are
faulty, replace brake shoes and/or
wedges (Para 12-2).
(b) If shoes and wedges are OK,
notify DS Maintenance.
(7) Install brake drum and air chamber
(Para 13-3 and 12-10).
Wear safety goggles when performing leakage tests on valves. Failure to do so may result in serious eye
injury due to high pressure air.
Listen to air chamber while
assistant fully applies service brakes
(1) If assistant cannot hear air
chamber operate when service
brakes are applied, replace air
chamber (Para 12-10).
(2) If air chamber operates
correctly, air chamber is OK.