Wear safety goggles when performing leakage
injury due to high pressure air.
(1) Apply and release service brakes
(2) Listen to air chamber while
assistant applies then releases
(a) If assistant cannot hear air
chamber operate, or brake shoe
does not move when brake is
applied and released, replace
air chamber (Para 12-9).
(b) If air chamber operates
correctly, air chamber is OK.
(1) Apply service brake
(2) Measure gap between brake shoe and
drum (Para 12-3).
(a) If there is a gap, adjust brakes
(b) If there is no gap, perform Steps
(3) through (6) below.
(3) Release service brake.
(4) Remove brake drum and air
chamber (Para 13-3 and 12-9).
(5) Inspect brake shoes and wedges.
(a) If brake shoes and/or wedges are
faulty, replace brake shoes and/or
wedges (Para 12-2).
(b) If shoes and wedges are OK,
notify DS Maintenance.
(6) Install brake drum and air chamber
13-3 and 12-9.