(1) Set multimeter select switch to volts
(2) Connect positive (+) multimeter
lead to starter solenoid, terminal 3.
(3) Connect negative () multimeter
lead to a known good ground.
(4) Visually check power strap between
terminal 3 and starter field coil post
for breaks, corrosion, looseness, or
(5) While assistant holds ENGINE
switch in START position, observe
multimeter (TM 9-2320-364-10).
(a) If 22 to 28 vdc are not present,
turn OFF ENGINE switch, and
replace starter (Para 7-12).
(b) If 22 to 28 vdc are present, turn
OFF ENGINE switch and go to
Step 20 of this fault.
22 to 28 vdc are always present on wire 1139 at starter solenoid. Remove all jewelry such as rings, dog
tags, bracelets, etc. If jewelry or tools contact positive electrical circuits, a direct short may result.
Damage to equipment, injury or death to personnel may occur.