(1) Push down on radiator cap and slowly
turn to left to relieve pressure from
(2) Turn radiator cap additional 1/2 turn
left and remove cap from radiator.
(3) Install radiator cap in radiator pressure
(4) Pressurize radiator cap.
(a) If pressure valve on radiator cap
does not hold for more than 30
seconds or begins to open below
6.5 psi (45 kPa), replace radiator
(b) If pressure valve on radiator cap
holds for more than 30 seconds
and begins to open at 6.5 to 8 psi
(45-55 kPa), the radiator cap is
(5) Remove radiator cap from radiator
(6) Install adapter and radiator pressure
tester in radiator.
(7) Pressurize coolant system to 10 to 15
psi (69-103 kPa).
(a) If pressure does not hold for two
minutes, perform Steps (8) and (9)
below and notify DS Maintenance.
(b) If pressure holds for two minutes,
radiator is OK.
(8) Slowly remove radiator pressure tester
(9) Install radiator cap on radiator.
Do not remove the radiator cap when the engine is hot; steam and hot coolant can escape and burn
Use extreme care when removing coolant system pressure tester. Sudden release of pressure can
cause injury to personnel.