Section II. EQUIPMENT DESCRIPTION
1-12. EQUIPMENT CHARACTERISTICS, CAPABILITIES AND FEATURES.
(1) The flatrack is a welded-steel, flat cargo body with a wall used as a lifting point. Flatrack is usually
loaded and unloaded by the Load Handling System (LHS).
(2) The flatrack has four ISO corner castings on the bottom that allow it to be secured and transported on
flatbed railcar, M871 semitrailer and stacked one on top of another. Two flatracks can be transported on the M872
semitrailer. These configurations require only existing railcar and trailer-mounted ISO corner castings.
(3) In addition the flatrack has four ISO corner castings on top which allow a standard 8 ft by 8 ft by 20 ft
container to be secured and transported on the flatrack.
The flatrack is provided with a sideboard kit and tiedown straps to allow transport of break-bulk
(1) The flatrack can be loaded from the ground or a loading dock and loaded between truck and trailer using
the truck-mounted LHS. The M1077 Flatrack will accommodate uniformly distributed payloads of 33,000 lbs (14,982
kg). The M1077A1 Flatrack will accommodate uniformly distributed payloads of 32,300 lbs (14,664 kg). To meet the
uniformly distributed payload requirements, the rear corner fittings should be 1,100 lbs (499 kg) to 1,200 lbs (545 kg)
heavier than the front corner fittings.
The flatrack is capable of being transported without restrictions on C-141 aircraft.
(3) The flatrack is capable of being sling-lifted by a CH-47D helicopter with a reduced payload. The
maximum permissible reduced payload for a M1077 is 20,000 lb (9,080 kg), and for a M1077A1 is 19,300 lbs
(8,762 kg) at 2,000 ft (610 m), 70 degrees F (21 degrees C), for 30 nautical miles.
A fully loaded flatrack, excluding ISO container, is capable of being stowed within the cell of a container
The flatrack can be moved by a forklift with forks that are a minimum of 68 in. (173 cm) in length.
A welded frame forming a single, integral unit.
Two enclosed stowage boxes.
Removable rollers at the rear of the flatrack.
Capable of accepting a sideboard kit to carry break-bulk materials.
Tiedown rings to secure payloads.
Forklift pockets to allow movement of the flatrack in loaded/unloaded situation.
ISO corner casting in the front and rear.
(8) Maximum weight for the M1077 is 3,200 lbs (1,453 kg). Maximum weight for the M1077A1 is
3,900 lbs (1,771 kg). Both without sideboard kit.